Hooray, we have a field!

It took two days but the fields are all laid out and we’re going to start plant­ing tomorrow!

We made 30 inch rows  (so we can work in them and step over them eas­ily) and 16 inch walk­ways (16″ because that was the size of our biggest rake). The rows curve with the topog­ra­phy of the land because there’s a pretty sig­nif­i­cant slope and we want to catch as much water as pos­si­ble as it flows down­hill. If the rows were straight, a lot of water would just col­lect in the paths and flow down into the wet area in the mid­dle of the field, but this way the water will col­lect against the beds and fil­ter slowly through.
We used a cou­ple dif­fer­ent meth­ods for rak­ing the dirt, every­one had their favorite ways to do it, but basi­cally we laid out the 30 inch beds using a home­made “scrib­ing tool” (basi­cally a cou­ple of stakes drilled onto a piece of wood 30″ apart)
and then we pro­ceeded to alter­nate between rak­ing up the dirt on either side and rak­ing it down the mid­dle to cre­ate path­ways. It was pretty exhaust­ing dirty work, but also very sat­is­fy­ing, the gar­den is finally com­ing together and it’s so nice to be out­side in the sun! We all got sunburnt.
In a cou­ple of the walk­ways we put down card­board and straw to keep down the weeds and cre­ate a path. The card­board we’ve been get­ting from super­mar­ket pro­duce boxes and from a bike shop in Con­cord (bikes come in big card­board boxes). It’s going to be pretty hard to col­lect enough card­board to put down on these rows, how­ever, so we’re going to plant some in clover instead.
Our Aer­ial Shot: from on top of the lum­ber racks on the back of Dave’s pickup
The bot­tom cor­ner is going to become one big tri­an­gu­lar bed, prob­a­bly for cucumbers.
It’s been a long cou­ple of days but we can finally start planting!

Leave a Reply